Favorite People

Favorite People
Salzburg, Austria

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

VIP

We call the port where we infuse medications on the Swan-Ganz catheter "the VIP." To be honest, I had no idea why it was called that. My rationale was always something about how the medications we were infusing were really imperative to the patient's survival. Funny that I've always wondered why, but I never mustered up the effort to learning why. 


My patient today may be considered "VIP" to some people. But I can honestly say, he was not treated any differently, because, as cliche as it sounds, "Every life deserves world-class care." I full-heartedly agree. Let me let you in on a little secret. Sometimes, there are some nurses that get annoyed with a patient's family members. They may not withhold care, but I think their care suffers a little bit. But we have to take a step back and think, "This is her mom." There's a patient in the unit that reminds me of my mom, and that freaks me out a lot. My mom would most certainly be VIP. And I would hope that her nurses treated her as such. Just because my mom isn't a millionaire, or a world famous neurosurgeon, or an actress, or a politician, or a member of royalty, doesn't mean that she shouldn't be treated as such. She gave me all her money. She helped me develop my personality. She was Emmy-deserving every Mother's Day as she proudly wore her macaroni necklace. She solved all worldly conflicts, at least between my sisters and I. And she was and is the matriarch. VIP indeed. 


My best friend just texted me. "Can you keep a secret? We hit the mega millions!!!!!!!" (I guess I can't keep a secret). Regardless, does this make her more important?? 


We're all humans. We all have the same basic human rights. Not one person is better than another. Therefore, we should accept each others' faults and weaknesses as just another aspect of our make-up. 


Oh, and it's venous infusion port



VIKs
[very important kitties]


Winky



Schnitzel

1 comment: